The application must be complete, including reference letters, by midnight CET 20th of January 2019.
The programme is geared towards undergraduate students at the end of the second or third year of their degree.
They welcome students studying any field in the life sciences, as well as those pursuing medical studies. UNIL is unique in having a combined Faculty of Biology and Medicine, and we are keen to offer to medical students the possibility to perform research.
Each participant will perform an individual research project in a different laboratory of the Faculty of Biology and Medicine. This programme aims to attract outstanding motivated students from near and far for a research experience that will remain with them for their lifetimes.
Opportunity Focus Areas:
- Life Sciences
- Medical Studies
ALL WORLD COUNTRIES.
8 weeks in July and August.
The Programme will run from July 8th to August 29th, 2019.
Eligibility Requirements (Criteria)
The programme is aimed at undergraduate students who have completed the second or third year of their university degree in any biological or medical field. Undergraduate means the first 4 years of university training usually towards a bachelor’s degree. Applicants who have completed only one year of an undergraduate degree, or who will have graduated by the time of the programme are not eligible.
The programme is highly competitive and students are chosen based upon their academic record (typically GPA >3.75 or equivalent, and/or top 5% class ranking), personal statements, and letters of recommendation.
If your university does not use a 4 point scale, then include an explanation of your grading scale in the online application (under curriculum vitae B). Differences in grading scales will be taken into consideration, but you must be in the top 5 % of your class.
Students must be present for the entire programme to participate.
Selected participants will be informed via email about 3 weeks after the application deadline.
- Students of any nationality, studying in any country, are welcome to apply, but should have very good English language skills.
- While most students come from abroad, applications from local students from the UNIL or the EPFL (or elsewhere in Switzerland) are also welcome.
- They welcome students studying any field in the life sciences, as well as those pursuing medical studies. UNIL is unique in having a combined Faculty of Biology and Medicine, and we are keen to offer to medical students the possibility to perform research.
- The program coordinator will arrange and pay for the housing. You will be housed within one of the buildings of the FMEL association, in a single room within an apartment with shared kitchen and bathroom facilities. The program coordinator will inform you when your housing assignment is made, how to contact them and where it is located.
- The programme will also provide you a scholarship of approximately CHF 1500 to cover other living expenses. It is advised to bring extra money for expenses above and beyond standard housing and living expenses (e.g., weekend travel).
- Limited funds are available to cover justified costs of travel to Lausanne. In general, up to CHF 500 for European travel and CHF 1200 for overseas travel is covered. Original receipts and boarding passes will be required for reimbursement.
- Assistance will be provided to all students who require visas to come to Switzerland.
- Participants must be covered for health and accidents from their home country.
How to Apply
- A listing of all courses with grades taken at the university level is required in the online application. In addition, an official document of your transcripts, saved in a Word, JPG or PDF format, in English, French or German must be uploaded during the online application
- This document should be named in the following format: “CandidateSurname_Transcripts.pdf”
- In addition to the online application, you must arrange for two confidential letters of recommendation from people familiar with your academic work (e.g., professors). Please ask your referees to use the letter template below.
- This form should be completed and named in the following format:
- The document should be e-mailed directly by your referees to firstname.lastname@example.org before the application deadline.
You can see a PDF for the contents of the online application from this link:
Know more about this opportunity: